Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sundries

I was torn between a post on my internship as a whole and a post on pediatric medicine and the unique challenge it represents to us vets.

Instead of either, I'll just give ya'll a brief update on the house-buying/moving/new job situation.

We backed out of the first contract due to the seller acting very shady and outright dishonest about the house. So, we spent Saturday night and Sunday in North Carolina AGAIN (trip 4 in 4 weeks), looking at houses. In the end, we offered on the house that was probably our second choice all along. We're in the process of negotiating, and hopefully, all will end well this time. It's getting old, I'm not gonna lie.

Tonight is the last night I will ever work as an employee at my internship. It's my last night of relief work before I say adios forever. I wish I could feel nostalgia...or something, but all I feel like is not working tonight.

My 3 days on in a row were very busy. I got to do a foreign body removal on my birthday. A young pitbull had a ... something? ... lodged in his mid-duodenum (upper small intestine). I really have no idea what it was. Some people thought brillo pad, others just called it a fecolith. At any rate, he recovered excellently and went home after 4 days in the hospital before the surgery. Long story short, he was originally treated as a renal failure until it became apparent that his azotemia (elevated kidney values) were as a direct result of his incredibly massive dehydration...as a result of the foreign body in his intestines. Ah...all is well that ends well. It was a GI surgery, and I'm happy to say that he has recovered well and went home a much happier dog. It helped restore some of the confidence I lost as a result of my last foreign body surgery.

More to come later, I'm sure.

No comments: