Wednesday, January 5, 2005

I am doing this strictly for my own amusement

I love to talk about myself. I also love to involve everyone I know in my life - to whatever extent is possible.

So, what have I done with my blissful month of freedom? Not much of anything. I visited the family in Florida. It would have been much more enjoyable had I not been suffering from some viral bug. Luckily, it turned into a sinus infection for which I am now taking 5000mg of Amoxicillin daily. Not good for the stomach.

Other than that, I've read 4 books in 3 weeks and seen a plethora (yes, Pepe, a plethora) of movies. I also raked my yard clear of debris and weeded out my flowerbeds. Hopefully, when spring comes, I will have a garden. Whether it be live (flowers) or not (rocks and statues) - remains to be seen.

Of the books I read - 1 classic (Wells' War of the Worlds), 1 modern classic (Diamanti's The Red Tent), and 2 trashy reads (James Frey's "autobiography" A Million Little Pieces and Anne Rice's The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty).
War of the Worlds was short, dense, and introspective. Very enjoyable and quick.

Diamanti's The Red Tent was lush, evocative, and very intense. It was also heartwrenching. I had a puddle of tears on my collarbone when I finished it. I would recommend it to anyone - almost. The writing style is absolutely luminescent. Beware of somewhat graphic, pagan sexual imagery.

A Million Little Pieces was the most worthless piece of writing I have ever touched or beheld. It was supposedly autobiographical - but it was so cliched, boring, and badly written that I can't believe I ever finished all 400 pages. I'm still mad that I wasted precious reading time.

As for movies, I just watched "House of Sand and Fog" - one of the most bleakly unrelenting films I have ever seen - "Requiem for a Dream" included. Stunning visually and musically - but my god. Rips your heart out. You spend more time at the end sobbing than anything.

And that's all. At least - about me. My brother is in Kuwait. I get to talk to him on occasion. My husband is considering enlisting as an officer in the Army, as am I. My best friend is working at Case knives, has a great dog and a psychotic kitty. My birdies are spoiled and fine. My kitties are fat and happy. Good night.

No comments: