Thursday, March 17, 2011

When it rains

So, my mom called me last night to tell me that she was having chest pains and getting winded walking from room to room. I hoped that it would turn out to be panic attacks as a result of her mother (my grandmother) and her sister (with cancer) - as well as the death of a long-time friend. Unfortunately, she went to the doctor today and was informed that her hemoglobin was 5. FIVE! My aunt that just had 8 units of blood - hers was 4.9. So, my mother is being hospitalized tomorrow morning for multiple transfusions, as well as further testing (I would assume). At this point, the cause of the anemia is unknown. Please keep our family in your thoughts. I'm staying here and working my weekend night shift with plans to go home on Monday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, can't life give you a break! I'll be thinking about you and your family. Stay strong, we all know you're exceptionally good at that!

Mary said...

HP -- your family is in my thoughts. I'm glad she went in at the first sign of trouble -- early treatment should be beneficial.

(((HUGS)))