Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bad week

So, we're here for a funeral, obviously. We flew down late last night, and my grandparents picked us up at the airport late (our flight was scheduled to come in at 12:15, but was delayed until 12:45am). We didn't get back to Lakeland until 2am. Neither myself nor my husband could sleep, and we were up until around 5:30am. At 9:30am, my grandfather woke us up, informed us that my grandmother had lost her ability to speak, and was on her way to the ER via ambulance (we heard none of this going on, mind you).

Today, we've spent part of the day with my grandmother in the hospital, part napping. The current consensus is that she had a transient ischemic accident (TIA) - or a "mini-stroke." I think an MRI would be helpful in diagnosing this, but she has a pacemaker, so it's not possible.

Right now, she is suffering aphasia - she knows the word she wants to say, but she can't actually get it out. When we first got to the ER, I had to fight back tears. My grandmother is a retired English teacher and always articulate. She has never really been ill in all the time that I can remember. Seeing her struggle so was extremely upsetting. Her condition is stable, but she is still struggling to talk. My grandfather is spending the night with her, and we'll take shifts tomorrow. She doesn't like being alone because she's having trouble communicating with people, and it's very stressful for her.

On top of that, my aunt was recently diagnosed with uterine cancer with ovarian metastases and has to start chemotherapy.

Our family is having a hard time lately, please keep us in your thoughts - we need them!

8 comments:

Alyson said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulties your family is going through! Both of my grandparents suffer from aphasia, and the loss of communication on top of a medical emergency can be very scary and incredibly frustrating. Keep faith in your grandmother, I'm sure you'll be there for her.

Your blog is a wonderful inspiration to me--a hopeful will-be veterinary student (currently slogging through high school), I hate to see these sort of things come your way. I hope everything works out for you, and your family. =)

Headstrong said...

Thinking of you at this difficult time. I hope your burdens begin to lessen soon, and that each day is better for you and yours. -Headstrong

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear...hang in there during these hard times. Hug the people (and animals) you love.

Lise said...

I'm so sorry to hear it. My grandfather also had a stroke that left him unable to speak for several months, and like your grandmother he had also been a teacher. It was heartbreaking to see him unable to find words for what he wanted to tell us.

My best thoughts to you and your family.

Holly said...

I'm so sorry. My mother had a stroke and several TIA's after that over the years. They are so frightening.

Heather said...

So sorry to hear about your family - we will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

VetVoyeur said...

My thoughts are with you.

Tammy said...

Oh man, sorry to hear all of this. Sending virtual hugs.