Saturday, December 10, 2011

First nights back

My first night back was lovely and quiet - easing me back into work. My second night? Not so much. Within an hour of my arrival, we had a possible esophageal foreign body puppy, a chocolate toxicity, a Labrador with a GDV (bloat), a Weimaraner with a possible GDV (that's a whole 'nother story), and various other patients floating around. I ran around like a crazy person and then had to go to surgery, which turned into a total nightmare.

I was finally able to lie down around 5am for a couple of hours. My head was throbbing and I was borderline hallucinating from exhaustion. This working mom/ER veterinarian gig is going to be harder than I even anticipated. My mother is here this week, and she has been helping my husband take care of the baby while he adjusts and gets some work done. It's a huge relief to have her here. The only problem? She can't stay forever.

Once I've gotten some sleep and the weekend shifts are over, I'll blog about the FB puppy and the "bloated" Weimaraner. It will have to wait, alas.

No comments: