Thursday, September 8, 2011


As to what I decided to do:

Tomorrow, I plan on calling the owner at home and discussing his concerns with him. I have done extensive reading on this subject, reviewed the surgical technique in multiple texts, as well as communicated with an ophthalmologist about possible causes of the drainage. Keep in mind that I have not seen this patient, so I have no idea of the character of the drainage. This could be my fault, or it may have nothing to do with anything that I did surgically. The ophthalmologist gave me several possible causes for the vague sign of drainage. I will share all of these with the owner, discuss his concerns, and recommend follow-up with his rDVM. I will make sure he is aware of all the possible causes - including the surgical problem (which the ophthalmologist said IS a surgical "mistake" - but one everyone will make at some time in their career, if they do enough of these surgeries). I will then leave it up to the owner to continue seeing the rDVM - hopefully with my concerns/recommendations in hand. Then, I will wait for either the letter from the rDVM complaining/throwing me under the bus or hearing back from the owner.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

No comments: