Friday, November 19, 2010

Phew

I just chopped all of my hair off - 10 inches. I'm donating it to Locks of Love. It's quite a shock. It's also somewhat of a revelation of how vain I am, especially about my hair. It is naturally blonde, naturally soft, and I associated much of my feminine charm with it. Once it was gone, I felt a little...stripped, I guess. And more than a little boyish. It's silly, I realize. I'm glad that I did it and that someone with real hardship will benefit from it.

It grows back, right?

4 comments:

Mary said...

I've been thinking about this lately as I'm 30+ with still-long hair. At what point do I have to cut it? But taking even a few inches off is hard for me to handle. I'm not proud of this in myself.

But I am proud of you for doing this; I'm not sure I have it in me.

I wonder how long it will take for you to get used to it. For the first few showers after a haircut (of just a few inches!) I always squeeze out too much shampoo and then am shocked at how short my hair is!

The Homeless Parrot said...

There is no point at which you HAVE to cut it (in my opinion). I am going to be one of those 80 year old women with fabulous, long grey hair. I just got a wild hair (har) when I sat down in the chair, and I've never actually had enough to donate before, and there you go. The stylist did ask me three times if I was sure...I almost changed my mind, then chastised myself for being vain. I will admit to nearly crying after it was done. It passed.

Holly said...

It will grow back and the more often you do this, the easier it will be.

I have thought about trying it, but my hair is naturally curly (and very gray), so I can't have it one length or it looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket.

Good onya.....

Elizabeth said...

My 10 yr old granddaughter did this last year ( her idea ) and her hair has grown back almost to the length it was already.
You did a good thing!