Monday, November 22, 2010

Interesting dilemma for me...

So, I have question I would like to pose to my readers:

Would you leave the perfect job because you didn't live in the perfect area? Would you willingly plunge into the unknown (a new job), go through the hell of the initial settling in period, just to be closer to your family and to be IN the mountains instead of a flat (but pretty) urban area?

I ask these questions for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, our amazing office manager, after 5 years at my clinic, has been offered a position elsewhere. She would be making twice what she is now, she would have full benefits (including life insurance and disability, which our small clinic cannot offer), and she would be doing something new. She has pretty much hit a ceiling at our clinic as far as what else she can do. There are many reasons that she is ready to move on. It's an amazing offer for her, and I couldn't be happier. FOR HER. On the other hand, it will be a blow to us. It's hard to find a good office manager, let alone a great one.

Coupled with that, I recently saw an ad in JAVMA for an ER veterinarian in a 24 hour facility. This place is absolutely gorgeous and has won many awards for hospital design. It is nestled in the heart of western NC. An hour's drive from home, 15 minutes from my brother, his wife, and my rapidly growing 2 year old niece. It's 15 minutes from all of my husband's kayaking friends, and there is abundant kayaking for the man. It is also a much, much shorter commute to UT for my husband. Thus, he could see his thesis advisor much more frequently and without being gone for long stretches of time. The pay is commensurate with what I make here.

So those are the pros.

The cons: we just bought our house a year and a half ago (approx). It's a bad market, and we would lose money when we sold it. Also, we would have to pay back the tax credit we received from the government ($8,000). IF I even got the job, I would have to go through the initial settling in period. That is never easy for me. I am not a laid back person, and technicians and fellow doctors don't know how to take me at first. It took me a full year before I even felt like a real member of the team here. I know absolutely nothing about the medicine practiced at the clinic, nor do I know anything about the clinic itself - other than it's beautiful, and they are obviously interested in progressive medicine, as they have an acupuncturist.

So, what do ya'll think? Stay with what is comfortable and really good (I love my job, I love my team, I have a great schedule, and I make really good money)? Or plunge into the unknown of a new job?

I've already decided what I'm going to do, but I am interested in the opinions of others.


puppynerd said...

I would do it. Be bold.

Or, at least, I would apply and interview, and maybe do some preliminary house shopping.

There's a decent chance any awesome sounding opportunity has some warts when you look at it up close. Once you've seen any problems for yourself, you can feel better about making a decision to stay put, as opposed to having that 'what if' hanging over your head.

And if things do line up? Well, a year feels like a long time, but if the decision will keep making you happier for years to come, it would be worth it.

Final thought: how permanent do you think the things you like about the area are? Do you expect to still be associated with UT when your husband finishes his thesis? Are your friends and family in the area pretty well settled into jobs and houses, or are they likely to move soon too?

I hope I'm not making you feel bad about your decision, whichever way it went. So much depends on the details.

The Homeless Parrot said...

Puppynerd: All good questions that I have asked myself. The answers:

1) I like this area, but I know that I am not permanently attached. We have no family here and no reason to stay long-term. We knew that when I took the job. I assumed 5 years probably at max. It's a nice area, but it's not where we want to be.

2) No, we do not expect to be affiliated with UT. My husband wants to teach at a small liberal arts college.

3) Our families are permanently settled in that area. Neither his parents nor mine are leaving. My siblings are scattered around the area and will likely stay. Of our friends - some are ensconced, some are not. The bottom line: we will never want for friends or family in that area.

All of that factored into my decision.

MTWaggin said...

If you move to an area you KNOW you'll stay in and IF the job you get sucks rocks - is there a good possibility you could find another job in the area that wouldn't suck?

Hermit Thrush said...

It's clear you are going to apply. Go for it. There is no right answer here. I personally don't think you can put a value on a great job or on being close to family. If it doesn't work out you can always move again. As for the money on the house, you make good money and it won't matter at all in the long run. That's my two cents.

Shannon said...

I say apply and interview. To me it sounds like temporary discomfort for the potential of long-term gain. The value of being near our loved ones can't be overstated. I'm without mine right now and it hurts every day. Best of luck with whatever your decision was.

Anonymous said...

Oh definitely go apply and hopefully interview. You say you've decided already, but I'd just go interview with an open mind and learn as much about the clinic and the people there as you can. You may hate them, you may love them, it may be something in-between. But then you've got a lot more information to go on.

Having been in several jobs/careers I hated, I wouldn't take a job if I got any kind of gut feeling that it might not be great, unless I truly had to (financially). You have plenty of time to find another job and move back to that area.

Angie in MN

Nicki said...

For the perfect job and the perfect location I would go. Right now I'm happy with our location but the jobs I have are far from perfect. Pleasant and low stress, but not my dream job. Good luck with your decision.

Jennifer said...

You must apply and interview to answer the unknowns - you don't have enough info to make a decision right now - but there is enough info to know it is worth applying and interviewing. If you don't like the job or the people, it won't matter that you live in the mountains - you'll hate the decision. The other consideration is that you don't know where your hubby will end up getting employment. You may find yourself having to move a year later for his job whether you move now or not. The bottom line is if you interview and believe you'll love it there, go for it. If the interview doesn't impress you or the job wouldn't really be any better, stay put - as hubby's job search will lead you somewhere regardless in the not too distant future.

Holly said...

Coming late to the party but....

What Jennifer said.

Apply and interview. Those are always good things to do.

No matter where you go, it's about 12 months to learn the job and be comfortable there. That would not concern me at all if you have the *skills* to do the job.

As for the comes and money goes. Money lost or made on a house would not be a factor for me, providing it would sell and it is not a break it decision for being able to buy another. Right now in Northwestern PA, anything over 40k isn't selling. So...the house is a known wash.

Hubby's thesis and job is a factor tho. And family is important.

But I would not make a decision until you are offered a job/salary/perks you want.

Elizabeth said...

Coming in late here but if family and friends are as important to you as I think they are then as least apply and find out the score on the other job. You would kick yourself for not looking into it.