Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I weep for humanity

I suppose that if I work long enough in this field, I will see everything. Last night brought something new and terrible.

Sleeping soundly at 4am (the ER was slow), I was awoken by my technician informing me that there was a hysterical woman in the lobby, the police were here, and a dog was bleeding.

Sure enough, it was so. Why was the dog bleeding, you may ask? The male owner of the dog wanted to teach his toddler son a lesson about disobeying daddy. So he picked up his son's helpless, 5 month old puppy and STABBED it repeatedly. The dog suffered 14 stab wounds from nose to tail, most penetrating the thorax and abdomen.

The poor dog was in pain and shock, shivering but able to lick my hand while I examined her. Her wounds were grievous. She needed an exploratory surgery of her abdomen and possibly her chest. The woman that brought her in had no finances, so we had to euthanize the puppy.

I weep for humanity. I really weep for that little boy.

11 comments:

Jenn said...

I weep with you.

One of our clients recently adopted a lovely little dog from an international rescue. Her previous owner had decided to teach his wife and young son a 'lesson' for abandoning him, (as an aside, good for them!) and hacked at this sweet little dog's head. With a machete. Repeatedly.

She lost an eye, has some large bone chips hanging around the base of her skull, and wasn't able to walk for months. Happily, though, she's now bouncing around with her new adoptive brothers, albeit somwehat shakily, and living the life she was meant to! :)

Dr.M said...

This is utterly horrifying. I hope he was at least fined for animal cruelty, if not arrested. We (as a society) really need to start paying more attention to people who can do something so cruel to innocent creatures, and increase the penalties. Time and time again they turn towards humans.

Liz said...

I'm weeping with you.

I work with foster kids. We had a biological Dad beat his 6.5 year old son to death less than a month ago.

What is wrong with people nowadays?

Anonymous said...

The father needs to be removed from the family immediately-- reported to police. From my experience, this type of violence will only escalate. Are you required to report things like this to authorities? The child will need help also..so very sad.

Bewildermunster said...

That makes me... incredibly sad. I hope the police did something about it... No animal should suffer like that.

Lise said...

:-C

Did you report this to the police? Because a) I'm pretty sure that's animal abuse? and more to the point b) that child (and that woman) are NOT in a safe home. Although on second thought, I can kind of see if you don't want Stabbing Dude showing up on the clinic's doorstep... :-/

Nicki said...

That is truly horrific. I have no other words.

rgcarr said...

But tomorrow and the next day you get to leave it all behind and be around some of the people who love you more than anything in the world. I hope things are better tonight.

Mel said...

I feel absolutely sick and sad. It's absolutely horrible and it makes me want to hug my animals tight and tell them that no matter what, I'll never ever let them go. I absolutely pray I never have to deal with a case like this.

BeadHappy said...

Horrific. That man shouldn't be allowed to have children or be around children.He needs to go directly to jail.

Anonymous said...

That is hard to fathom. I have seen some crazy and sad things in my career, but I hope I never see THAT.